As you prepare to enter into the church facility for worship…
- Lord, I love the habitation of Your house and the place where Your glory dwells. In the multitude of Your tender mercies prepare my heart that I may enter Your house to worship and confess Your holy name; through Jesus Christ, my God and Lord. Amen. – Lutheran Service Book: Pew Edition (pp. iv-v). Concordia Publishing House.
As you’re sitting in the sanctuary, preparing for worship…
- O Lord, my creator, redeemer, and comforter, as I come to worship You in spirit and in truth, I humbly pray that You would open my heart to the preaching of Your Word so that I may repent of my sins, believe in Jesus Christ as my only Savior, and grow in grace and holiness. Hear me for the sake of His name. Amen. – Lutheran Service Book: Pew Edition (p. v). Concordia Publishing House.
- Almighty, everlasting God, for my many sins I justly deserve eternal condemnation. In Your mercy You sent Your dear Son, my Lord Jesus Christ, who won for me forgiveness of sins and everlasting salvation. Grant me a true confession that, dead to sin, I may be raised up by Your life-giving absolution. Grant me Your Holy Spirit that I may be ever watchful and live a true and godly life in Your service; through Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen. – Lutheran Service Book: Pew Edition (p. vi). Concordia Publishing House. OR
- Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner! Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light upon my path. It has laid bare my sin, for which I deserve nothing but punishment; yet, it has also declared to me Your grace and mercy and forgiveness. As You have taught my heart to believe and trust in You, so shall I also confess with my mouth. Grant me the honesty to examine my life according to Your holy Ten Commandments, especially as they address my vocations in life. Discipline me as Your beloved child. Enable me to recognize my sin, to know and feel it in my heart, and rightly to bemoan and lament my iniquity and offenses. Give me both humility and courage to confess my sins and to receive from my pastor Your Holy Absolution, according to Your good and gracious will. Invigorate my faith, through this same word of forgiveness, to have no doubt, but firmly to believe, that by it all my sins are forgiven before God in heaven. You have called and sent my pastor, in Your name and stead, to hear my confession with Your ears of mercy, and to forgive me with Your own voice. Since You have chosen to deal with me in this way, allow me not to neglect Your gift but to lay hold of it with eager confidence. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and restore to me the joy of Your salvation; for Your name’s sake. Amen. Lutheran Book of Prayer: Fifth Edition. Concordia Publishing House.
- Lord God, bless Your Word wherever it is proclaimed. Make it a word of power and peace to convert those not yet Your own and to confirm those who have come to saving faith. May Your Word pass from the ear to the heart, from the heart to the lip, and from the lip to the life that, as You have promised, Your Word may achieve the purpose for which You send it; through Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen. – Lutheran Service Book: Pew Edition (pp. vii-viii). Concordia Publishing House.
Before and after receiving the Sacrament (Lord’s Supper)…
- Dear Savior, at Your gracious invitation I come to Your table to eat and drink Your holy body and blood. Let me find favor in Your eyes to receive this holy Sacrament in faith for the salvation of my soul and to the glory of Your holy name; for You live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen. – Lutheran Service Book: Pew Edition (pp. vi-vii). Concordia Publishing House.
- Almighty and everlasting God, I thank and praise You for feeding me the life-giving body and blood of Your beloved Son, Jesus Christ. Send Your Holy Spirit that, having with my mouth received the holy Sacrament, I may by faith obtain and eternally enjoy Your divine grace, the forgiveness of sins, unity with Christ, and life eternal; through Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen. – Lutheran Service Book: Pew Edition (p. vii). Concordia Publishing House.
- Almighty and merciful God, I have again worshiped in Your presence and received both forgiveness for my many sins and the assurance of Your love in Jesus Christ. I thank You for this undeserved grace and ask You to keep me in faith until, with all Your saints, I inherit eternal salvation; through Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen. – Lutheran Service Book: Pew Edition (pp. v-vi). Concordia Publishing House.
A prayer to remember one’s baptism as you prepare to worship God with your life every day…
Dear Father in heaven, You have adopted me as Your very own and given me Your name in the waters of my Holy Baptism. You have generously poured out upon me Your Holy Spirit through Your Son, my only Savior, Jesus Christ. By the washing of the water with Your Word, I have been united with Him in His death. Just as surely do I have a share in His resurrection and His never-ending life. For His sake You have called me a beloved child and declared me to be well-pleasing in Your sight. For all of this I thank and praise You.
Yet, my old Adam remains, with all my sinful desires, while the devil and the world seek to entice me away from You. Only You can help me and save me. Be gracious to me; guard and protect me from all evil. Surround me with Your holy angels; keep the devil at bay, and all his works and all his ways far from me.
Return me always to the saving waters of my Holy Baptism, and thereby drown and destroy the old Adam within me. By Your Word and Holy Spirit, bring me daily to contrition and repentance, and by Your free and full forgiveness of my sins, strengthen and sustain my faith and lift me up with Your dear Son to that new life that shows forth Your praise; through the same Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen. – Lutheran Book of Prayer: Fifth Edition. Concordia Publishing House.