The guy in the video (11:31) at the end of this post talks really fast but he defines:
- What an anxiety disorder is
- The symptoms of an obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Panic disorder and phobias
- Where these come from (learning and/or biology)
Watch the video and don’t forget the most important part after the video – words of hope.
Jesus encouraged his followers, do not be anxious about your life (see Matthew 6:25-34), but we know how hard that it is to do that, especially when we have developed patterns of anxiety. Into the midst of your anxious life I encourage you to take hold of these life rings of hope:
- You are God’s child, forgiven and loved in Christ.
- Your heavenly Father knows all your needs (Matthew 6:32) and promises to provide. Trust him to carry you this day.
- Hold onto verses from God’s word that can anchor your life in the midst of the spin (e.g. Matthew 28:20 – behold, I (Jesus) am with you always, to the end of the age.)
- Connect with a community of faith where you can hear the gospel and receive the Lord’s Supper; a forgiving community where you can be supported as a forgiven child of God’s in Christ.
Now go with the peace that Christ has offered you, trusting him as your life twists, turns and spins. Remember, he’s got hold of you!